5th PUPOL International Conference
April 16, 2020 - April 17, 2020
After four very successful conferences (see here), we are proud to announce that the 5th PUPOL International Conference will return to The Netherlands!
The conference will take place on 16-17 April 2020 in The Hague and will be organised by the Leiden Leadership Centre.
The focus of PUPOL2020 will be “Leadership in progress. New avenues in studying and developing public and political leadership”. In other words, a central theme will be how academia and practice together can advance our understanding and the development of public and political leadership. Furthermore, the conference gives room for new ways of analyzing and conceptualizing leadership.
Key Conference dates and deadlines:
|Submission deadline paper proposals and abstracts (500-800 words)||01/11/2019|
|Decision on papers||13/12/2019|
|Deadline for early bird registration||01/02/2020|
|Final deadline for registration||20/03/2020|
|Final deadline for submission of full papers||27/03/2020|
Call for papers
The call for papers includes a.o. the following themes:
- Leadership issues in relation to real and complex issues in public organizations and the larger public and political domain.
- Leadership as a dynamic process of actions and behaviours.
- The interaction between leadership on various levels (political and administrative leadership, international, national and local governments, hierarchical levels within public organizations etc.).
- New lenses and interdisciplinary perspectives to study and develop leadership.
- New methods, multi-methods and cross-case comparisons to study and develop leadership.
- Leadership studies that involve co-production between academics and practitioners.
- Leadership issues in international and interorganisational collaboration.
- The promise and dark side of leadership in uncertain times.
Abstracts can be submitted for research that is conceptual or empirical, descriptive or explanatory and qualitative or quantitative. Empirical papers can be focused on a broad range of (semi) public organizations such as central government, local government, health care and education organizations.
The Leiden Leadership Centre (LLC) at Leiden University in The Hague is a platform for research and education in the field of public leadership.
The LLC explores new ways to successfully shape public leadership in complex situations, both now and in the future. Interdisciplinary and internationally, LLC works in partnership with academics and practitioners in the field of public leadership at the point at which theory and practice meet.
The LLC works along four pathways:
- Research into effective public leadership within and between organisations.
- Bachelor’s, master’s and honours programmes.
- Postgraduate training and programmes for professionals in the field of public leadership.
- A platform for local and international partners and networks in academia and in practice.
The Hague is proud to be known as the international city of peace and justice. With the presence of the government, parliament, ministries, national and international courts, countless European institutions, embassies and companies, The Hague has a prestigious international stature.
Things to see and to do in and around The Hague:
- Beaches: Scheveningen beach and Kijkduin beach.
- Parks and nature: Tulip fields, Keukenhof and park Clingendael.
- Several museums: Escher in the Palace, Mauritshuis (Vermeer’s world famous ‘Girl with the Pearl Earring’), Museon, The Hague Museum of Photography, Gemeentemuseum with the world’s largest Mondrian collection and many more.
- Architecture: visit the Peace Palace, historic Binnenhof and Noordeinde Palace.
- Family attractions: Drievliet and Madurodam.
More details will follow soon!